Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Fearless MLB divisional series predictions

Cubs over Diamondbacks.

No, I'm not happy about it. (And regular reader -- and D-Back fan -- Sari has an interesting theory about why I'm wrong.) But I think the veteran Cubs have an advantage over the younger Diamondbacks.

It shouldn't matter though: Whoever wins that series will surely fall in the NLCS to the winner of the Rockies / Phillies series. Both teams are red-hot coming into the playoffs and this may be the best series of the entire playoffs. Somebody has to advance and I'm guessing... Phillies.

This is a position taken in profound ignorance, of course, as I only watch the American League... and this year, for a White Sox fan, I just couldn't always watch.

Both series in the American League seem pretty good to me and, with one exception, I don't much care who wins.

That said, heart over head, I'm going with Cleveland over New York. As a Sox fan, I am genetically programmed to hate the Yankees -- and even I can't find it in my heart to hate Joe Torre. And there's a part of me that wants to see A-Rod hit about .600 and put all the doubters to rest about his post-season 'failures.' But -- Yankees fans being what they are -- if A-Rod hits .750 and the Yankees lose, he'll still be a 'failure.' Go Tribe.

And in the match-up of the Angels vs. Red Sox, I suppose the smart money is on Boston. But my hunch is that the Angels will take wing in the playoffs this year. This is strictly a hunch. But, hey, I've got a 50-50 chance, don't I?

I'll make my equally fearless NLCS and ALCS predictions later -- when I find out just how wrong I was here.

And in the meantime... remember these predictions are worth exactly what you paid for them: Nothing. If you make wagers based on my predictions you probably should seek immediate medical and/or psychiatric treatment.

Unless, of course, you win.

6 comments:

Dr. A said...

Go Tribe!

Cliff said...

Two thank you's first, one is for your input on my post about Funky Winkerbean. the other is for posting a link to my blog.

Now, it may be pitching over hitting in Cleveland v NY. 19 game winner CC Sabathia hasn't faced the Yankees sine 2004. Fausto Carmona has been a major surprise this year. Hopefully the veterans, such as Kenny Lofton will be a help to those without post season experience.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I'd love to be as versed in baseball as you are!

katherine. said...

I just have no strong feelings for any of the teams in the playoffs...sigh...

sari said...

D-backs: 1

Cubs: 0

I'm just sayin'.

Hilda said...

Goooooooooo Phillies!

(Yes I know they lost Wednesday's game - but that was just to lull Colorado into complacency.)