Saturday, October 27, 2007

15 worst TV shows of all time?

The Chicago Tribune published this provactive list of its nominees in yesterday's paper.

I'll copy the list -- but delete the descriptions. (Let's respect copyrights people, right? Fair use only? The link will take you to the descriptions anyway.)

15. "YOU'RE IN THE PICTURE" (1961)

14. "PETTICOAT JUNCTION" (1963-70)

13. "MY MOTHER THE CAR" (1965-66)

12. "ERNEST ANGLEY HOUR"

11. "THE ROPERS"

10. "PINK LADY AND JEFF" (1980)

9. "JOANIE LOVES CHACHI"

8. "MAMA'S FAMILY" (1983-90)

7. "MANIMAL" (1983)

6. "SMALL WONDER" (1985-89)

5. "LIFE WITH LUCY" (1986)

4. "COP ROCK" (1990)

3. "THE JERRY SPRINGER SHOW"

2. "BARNEY & FRIENDS" (1992-present)

1. "THE SECRET DIARY OF DESMOND PFEIFFER" (1998)

I have to confess: I watched "My Mother the Car" and I don't remember it being that bad. Of course, I was very young at the time....

Some of these others I've never heard of... some of these I've heard of but wish I hadn't -- "Mama's Family" or "Joanie Loves Chachi," to cite two bad examples....(*shudder*).

But how can such a list be complete without mentioning the only show that, so far as I know, was canceled after just one episode? I refer to "Turn-On" which lasted just one episode in 1969.

I couldn't remember the name when I put this post up this morning... but it came back to me... welling up out of some dark, suppressed place in my consciousness.... I believe the gimmick was that the "comedy" was written (generated?) by computer.

It couldn't have been much of a computer... according to IMDb, the show was actually canceled 10 minutes into the one and only episode. And IMDb actually blames a human writer for "Turn-On," so my recollection may be proved imperfect once again.

Anyway, I nominate "Turn-On" for the top of my list. What would top yours?

19 comments:

Linda said...

Humpf, I rather liked "Petticoat Junction" but then again, I was still a little kid at that point in life and who wouldn't have loved Uncle Joe and the little dog? They had such chemistry!

Not sure what would top my list as I am not a big TV watcher anymore - I know "Cop Rock" was truly bad so perhaps I'd move that up to the top of the queue!

The Curmudgeon said...

Hey -- I said I didn't hate "My Mother the Car" -- who am I to throw stones at "Petticoat Junction?"

Patti said...

Um, I definitely take exception to the dissing of "Petticoat Junction" - I for one loved that show at the time.

Next they will put "Green Acres" on this list.

Do you remember the short-lived "Pruitts of Southampton"? At least I believe that was the name of it. Starring Phyllis Diller.

Also I enjoyed "My Mother the Car" at the time.

Cynthia Bostwick said...

"Three's Company." All time worst in my book and still running. Sometimes, to my horror, there it is at 3 am.

Jeni said...

Worst program ever, in my book, would be Jerry Springer with ALL the Reality shows running close behind.

may said...

i think it is unfair that Barney is on the list. i mean i know it annoys me as a mother, but the show is made for kids, and they love it at some point in their lives, so...

just my thought...

Shelby said...

I used to watch petticoat junction... "all aboard!"

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I haven't seen those shows, but one with just Joannie & Chachi would be a bad one.

'A Different World' was a bad one.

Ben and Bennie said...

Count me in as a Petticoat Junction fan. What's strange is that I had the theme song running through my brain all last week and then read this post.

"That Uncle Joe, he's movin' kind of slow at the Junction..."

If you're gonna diss Barney then you'd have to include The Teletubbies.

Dave said...

I'm slow to the party; but, Petticoat Junction was/is not available as a top ten worst show. Joe, the Girls, Aunt Bea (?), Arnold the Pig, Arnold's owner whose name, I can't remember? Ziffle, that's it. Or was that Green Acres? It just doesn't get much better than that. And all that topped with the Girls apparently floating just too low at the top of the water tower? What is with your hometown paper?

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cliff said...

Kate was the mother on Petticoat Junction, played by Bea Benaderet(sp?). Arnold's owner was Fred Ziffle and they were on Green Acres. These shows were eliminated when CBS cancelled all rural shows, including Hee Haw.

The Curmudgeon said...

If Hollywood is looking in, I'd say there's a groundswell building for a movie version of "Petticoat Junction"....

Cliff said...

Burt Reynolds could play Uncle Joe since he did such a good job playing Boss Hogg. Yeah, right.

Cast Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan, and Paris Hilton as Billy Jo, Bobbi Jo, and Betty Jo.

And Kate could be played by Lynda Carter since the Shady Rest needs a wonder woman to run it.

Patti said...

LOL on casting Britney, Lindsay and Paris as Billy Jo, Bobbi Jo and Betty Jo!

Ralph said...

I watched My Mother the Car, and agree that it was bad. And there was never a 1928 Porter car, it's a fictional car, the brand never existed...In the same year (65-66), does anyone remember the stinker sitcom 'Camp Runamuck'?

Dave said...

Thanks 74wixygrad, I guess I was a little too entranced with the girls in the water tower to get the rest of the characters right.

Anonymous said...

Manimal was cool..... when I was 8 years old.

Haven't really heard of the others fortunately.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone remember The Pruitts of Southhampton with Phyliss Diller? Talk about one of the worst shows ever!