Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Halfway point reached in ring season and all's quiet so far

The Christmas season is nearly over, whether we're on the nine ladies dancing or 10 Lords a'leaping. I haven't been keeping track.

But our own personal "ring season" is merely at the halfway mark.

Older Daughter was home for Christmas, arriving, in her new car, on the afternoon of Christmas Eve.

Her eventual arrival was heralded by the usual announcements:
  • The day before: I'm leaving at the crack of dawn tomorrow; I should be in by 8:30 or so in the morning;
  • 8:30 or so in the morning: I'm leaving now;
  • 10:30 or so in the morning: OK, now I'm leaving. Did you know the Post Office is closed today? Why would the Post Office be closed on Christmas Eve? (I don't know -- maybe because Christmas Eve was on a Sunday?)
There was a subsequent call asking about the price of gas in Chicago, but we believe that by that time she was in fact en route. Older Daughter does not let a little thing like a flashing gas tank dashboard icon hurry her into buying gasoline, not if three cents a gallon may be saved. The car would not run out of gas on her. This is how she thinks. Fortunately, gas is always pricier in Chicago than almost anywhere in Indiana.

The Boyfriend did not make the trip with her. He came up Tuesday, with his parents. The parents stayed downtown. The Boyfriend stayed in our basement.

Now, please don't get me wrong: I am not trying to marry off Older Daughter. However, she's been dating the Boyfriend now since early in their undergraduate days. After they both graduated, she moved to Indianapolis because that's where he lives. Some speculation along these lines is therefore inevitable.

There was, however, no movement reported along this front during the recent Boyfriend visit. But I don't think the crisis is behind us, particularly since Older Daughter has a February birthday. A Valentine's Day birthday, no less. Thus, I conclude, we're only halfway through our first "ring season."

My guess is that this is the first, and probably not the last, ring season for Older Daughter and the Boyfriend. But it's another milestone for me and my Long Suffering Spouse: This isn't something we've had to realistically worry about before.

Isn't it nice to unpack a fresh, new anxiety?

7 comments:

Elle said...

Oh to be young again and know what I know now.

Mother Jones RN said...

I can't wait to hear what happens.

MJ

Anonymous said...

Me too, it's lovely to hear good news.
How did you get the ring to rotate? Is there a good link you can recommend for these clever images?
So sorry you lost your comment, btwa, I was looking forward to your response because of your background. It's the first time it has happened as far as I am aware, I checked moderation and it wasn't there, but many thanks for taking the time.

MommasWorld said...

Ring season is exciting when you are the receiver. It is a whole different story when you are the parent of one who might soon be given the opportunity to decide if they want to be the receiver.

Toothpaste comment was great! In the vast population of the US in 2004, only 1,213 adults were exposed to toothpaste? I mean floride toothpaste? I was one of the minty minority in 2004. :-)

The Curmudgeon said...

Ellee -- it's a .gif file and it was spinning when I found it in Yahoo! Images this morning.

Elle -- Welcome. Another law student? Have you met East of Oregon? (See sidebar.)

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh curmy i know.... sigh. one grandson got engaged a few months ago (and barely went on the cruise with us because she could not go) and one granddaughter is EVER SO in love with a sailor, another so in love with yet another wonderful young man, and evey the youngest girl, 14, is in love... time marches on and stops for no one my friend. enjoy every day all you can. bee

Sean Carter said...

This is so nice...and at the wonderful time of the year too...well hey if you are looking for some nice ways to celebrate Valentines Day then do drop by my blog sometime for some ideas and suggestions...so drop by sometime and share some of the love and romance!!!