Thursday, January 25, 2007

The barber is getting along in years....

This isn't the barber shop I go to, but it gives you the general idea.

I go to an old-fashioned barber -- not a stylist. There's a beauty shop next door. The ladies are welcome over there, please. A mom can bring junior in, and she's welcome to stay while he gets his haircut... but she can't also get a trim... and we hope she doesn't poke around the magazines in the stack.

There's nothing too wild there, mind you, just some back issues of Esquire or some of the newer "lads' mags." Nothing really explicit... but we don't want the boy's mom seeing this stuff. It would make us -- the barbers, the other customers -- uncomfortable. With luck, these are buried beneath the sports magazines when a kid's mom sits next to the stack.

When I go in with one of the boys I read only the newspapers.

I've been going to this same barber now for some years.

He used to be so good: He'd thin out the hair in places where it was thick, and he'd cut out all the gray ones.

But I'm afraid he's slipping: He must be thinning too much on top because my scalp is all too visible. And I think he's only cutting out the dark hairs now because everything that's left is gray.

Still, I think I'll keep going to the same barber. I'm used to him. He's used to me. And besides, who am I to hurt his business as he's getting so obviously along in years?

6 comments:

Ben and Bennie said...

Do you get the neck shaved? The kind where it makes pimples pop up on the back of your neck?

One of these days I'm gonna get the face shaved using that warm shave cream. One of these days....

The Curmudgeon said...

Of course. You have to get your neck shaved if you go to the barber!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

now curmy that is a funny post! i think charlie used to go to that barber until the whole top came off (his hair, not the magazine!). smiles, bee

Barb said...

LMAO! Great one :)

Anonymous said...

That's weird! We must go to the same barber (even if we are 6000 miles apart....)

MommasWorld said...

I take my son to a barber down town with the red and white swirling pole.