I can't imagine why.
This new "Moaning Meme" is the handiwork of The Freelance Cynic. Here are the rules, copied straight from Mr. Cynic's blog:
RULESYou will note that I have already violated one of these rules, by posting these in the middle of this post. Nevertheless, we proceed:
List 4 things that should go into room 101 and be removed from the face of the earth:
- People who ride on the shoulder of the highway or remain in a lane when it is clearly marked as closed up ahead. Hey! Moron! Do you think all these people you're zooming by are all lined up for fun?
- Political commercials for candidates for any major office. Look, Senator (not singling anyone out): If someone doesn't already know you're running for President, that person is probably too stupid to register to vote, much less find the polling place on primary day anyway. And you're just annoying the rest of us. What substantive point can you convey in 30 or 60 seconds that distinguishes you from anyone? (Not that I would ban all political commercials: For lesser offices it may be the only way to attract a following. Of course, it doesn't always work: I bought commercials on a number of radio stations when I ran for judge... because no one would otherwise know I was a candidate. After the votes were counted, it was apparent that anyone who had learned I was a candidate from these commercials probably did not care and almost certainly did not vote.)
- Sales calls. Even though Middle Son is working as a telemarketer again this summer. Since I don't want him unemployed, I would be willing to defer the ban on sales calls until September.
- Osama bin Laden. Although I can't understand why he'd have to be taken into Room 101; I should think he'd go voluntarily: He is in the news again, supposedly promoting "martyrdom" -- you know, as in suicide bombing -- as a means to happiness. If only he would choose to be happy too. I know I'd be happier... I'd be particularly happy if Osama became happy while testing his happiness device... far away from anyone else.
- Other than people who shoulder ride (see above), there's not too many others I'd like to shake violently. At least not as a premeditated thing. I may be intolerant and opinionated, but I am also a physical coward. But we have to have two more? Let's see...
- Kids who throw eggs at my house on or around Halloween. My wife doesn't enjoy your behavior in her classes either, but you don't see her throwing eggs at your houses, do you?
- People who do not pay my bills.
2 things you find yourself moaning about:
- Time. Einstein was right about time being relative. I don't know about traveling at speeds approaching the speed of light -- that's more the province of the shoulder riders, isn't it? -- but it's a known fact that time goes much faster inside a saloon than outside. You mean it's 9:30 already? My wife will kill me! It also goes faster while blogging: Whole mornings can vanish while making a simple, short post.... On the other hand time slows down during a long sermon... or an algebra test... or while waiting for a train or bus....
- Nothing, I'm afraid, that I didn't already know.