Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Everything slows down in the Summer... except sales calls... and yours truly?

Long Suffering Spouse is through with Summer School now. That means my arrival time here at the Undisclosed Location is no longer predictable.

Do those two sentences seem unrelated? Let me explain: When LSS has to be somewhere by a certain time, I too must be ready to leave with her. Or I can walk to the train. Since I'd rather ride, especially when toting a briefcase, I am ready.

Now, however, unless I have a court appearance or some other fixed appointment, when I get into the office is entirely up to me. That's the beauty of being self-employed.

Or it would be beautiful if it were true. But unfortunately Messrs. MasterCard, Visa and Discover actually have a very large say in what I do. But for them, I wouldn't be here. (Well, actually, I would probably be here in the Blogosphere... but not necessary here at the Undisclosed Location.)

Things slow down in the Summer for most people. People take vacations... and their colleagues postpone meetings and put off deadlines to accommodate. Even blog traffic is down. Regular traffic continues largely unabated... when folks aren't on vacation... but Sitemeter shows that the random stops and the searches from strangers are in decline. I suppose I could come up with a post that uses all the "hot" search terms... but I think I'll pass.

In the meantime, the sales calls keep coming in. That's one thing that never seems to know a season. There have been several this morning already.

And the other thing that picks up when everything else slows down is my business.

I've got a lot to do right now.

Part of it is because I was so long away. But part of it is traditional: People are more inclined to ask me to do stuff when they are understaffed. Like during the Holidays... or during the Summer.

So rest assured, gentle readers: If the frequency of my postings and my comments falls off in the next week or two it's because I'm working... not slacking off.

Darn it.

9 comments:

MommasWorld said...

I'm here! Upping the traffic to the Second Effort :-)

Shelby said...

here's some more traffic for ya :)

now.. go do some lawyering..

Patti said...

Honk! Honk! still more traffic coming at you...
Honk!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

hiya curmie! finally i am home! it feels wonderful. i think i shall never leave again. (famous last words, i know!) glad business is picking up...

smiles, bee

tyvc

Linda said...

Sadly, my job seems to pick up more in the summer as more people suffer breathing problems, heart attacks, seizures, car accidents, etc. in the summer months. When people are sitting home all winter basically doing nothing then they are less apt to hurt themselves!

Good luck with all of your projects and I'll keep stopping by as I make my way down the Blogway ... or something like that!

may said...

sales calls know no season. no time.

anyway, enjoy some "real" work:)

Mother Jones RN said...

I've haven't abandoned you. One more hit for the site meter:-)


MJ

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Work gets in the way of blogging? That won't do!

rdl said...

That's ok, i understand completely. I just wish my damn blogroller worked so i would know when people updated.