Wednesday, August 29, 2007

With apologies to Sydney J. Harris: A thing I learned while looking up other things

I regularly read Zay N. Smith's Quick Takes column in the Chicago Sun-Times -- although, I notice, he prefers the even quicker abbreviation QT these days. There's a link to Mr. Smith's column in my Sidebar. I have quoted the column from time to time in these postings, most recently on August 22 -- or May 2 (in a post about compact fluorescent light bulbs) -- or on February 7 or February 8 in two posts offering one explanation as to why Lisa Nowak may have snapped.

(For the record, I've not been contacted by Captain Nowak's defense team. I still like my explanation better than the one they've come up with -- even if we both wind up with an insanity defense.)

Anyway, I didn't read the Sun-Times on February 11, 2007. (I get that other paper at home on Sundays.)

And look what I missed: Second Effort made the Quick Takes column! (I came across this at a site called Find Articles):
TRY, TRY AGAIN

Blog Subtitle of the Week (Second Effort at secondeffort.blogspot.com):

". . . If you look carefully, you can see the twinkle in the old curmudgeon's eye. Or is that a cataract?"
This is a real thrill for me. Maybe you can't tell. And I didn't even know about it!

My first MSM reference... and I'm just as slow on the uptake as ever....

13 comments:

SQT said...

I just don't think the insanity defense is going to fly in Nowak's case. --Just my personal opinion mind--- But there was too much planning involved to think she didn't know what she was doing or incapable of knowing right from wrong. She was sneaky when she followed the other woman too...

Mother Jones RN said...

I agree with sqt. I don't think that Lisa Nowak's defense is going to hold up in court. Nowak is a woman scorned, but she isn't legally crazy. Congrats about being mentioned in QT.

MJ

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

curmy is a star!!!!!

tyvc

smiles, bee

may said...

look, they just keep on coming...the next thing we know, you are this famous star we cannot reach anymore :)

by the way, i replied to your last comment on my previous post. just to clarify :)

katherine. said...

that is way cool!

sari said...

Congratulations!!

About Novak...I read the other day she wanted her ankle monitor removed and then now I read she's using the insanity defense...not a good argument for having the ankle monitor removed, is it?

rdl said...

Congrats!!!

rdl said...

Congrats!!!

Ben and Bennie said...

WOW! Very impressive!

susan said...

Congratulations! So how long before we all get to start spouting the tales of "I read him when..."?

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Congrats, Curmy!!

Patti said...

congratulations on the mention, Mr. Attorney sir.

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! I missed it too, as I read "the other paper" almost exclusively, except when clippings about my ex-job (Jewel) appeared in the breakroom at same ex-job. But that's outstanding, Curmudgeon, I'm so pleased for you!