Thursday, November 30, 2006

It was fun while it lasted


We had heavy rains here overnight, as proved by the little lake-lets on so many of the streets this morning as I drove Younger Daughter to school -- but at the moment, as you can see, the latest Dreaded Storm is passing well to the south of us. There just a light mist floating through the Loop at the moment.

But a foot of snow is predicted for tonight, starting (of course) during the evening rush hour, or maybe only six inches (depending on which late newscast you watched last night). The old are panicking, the young are thrilled (Younger Daughter this morning: "Maybe we'll have a Snow Day!") -- and the rest of us, who will attempt to keep our routines whatever Nature does or does not do, are busy steeling our resolve.

I don't know exactly how that's done, but it sounds appropriately grim.

Was it only Sunday that I was standing outside church, in shirtsleeves, talking to a neighbor who told me that he'd put up his Christmas lights and barbecued the day before? "And that's not right," he concluded... but he wasn't really complaining.

Welcome to Chicago: Don't take a nap, because the seasons may change while you do. And maybe more than once.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Now you may be wondering -- what has happened to the Curmudgeon? Yesterday I tackled fusion reactors, now I'm reduced to talking about the weather.

Well, have you looked at the comments to yesterday's post?

Obviously, some of the terms I used triggered some sort of alert on more than one person's news feeder. I looked at a couple of these comments this morning and read them -- my lips were moving the whole time, you understand -- and I can't make heads nor tails of them. (And, no, I'm not talking about Captain Picard's or MJ's comments either.)

Like Eliza Doolittle, I think I may be well advised to stick to two subjects: the weather and my health. At least for the time being.

I've got some studyin' up to do.

7 comments:

Lois Lane said...

Nap... hell, baby, don't blink because the season will change. :D This morning my car doors were frozen shut. The car looked like it had a candy coated shell from the ice.
Can you share the dunce cap? I was lost at the mention of physics.

Anonymous said...

Oh that nasty nasty weather is headed our way too. Already had to close some windows. But turn off the fans? Never!

Mother Jones RN said...

I thought there were only two seasons in Chicago: Winter and Road Construction season.

It’s still warm today on the East Coast. Please keep your nasty weather to yourself :-)

MJ

Anonymous said...

I've been to Chicago once - and it was twenty below. take care and be safe!

Anonymous said...

Looking at the slightly more recent radar available on Weather.com; it's looking like the whole darn mess may miss us by about 20 miles. It's close, but I'll take it! However, the National Weather Service doesn't seem to share my optimism, they're still gleefully spewing Winter Storm Warnings.
In any case, at least the roads were "freezedried" by the time I had to take Chris to work today.
Texas driver in Illinois weather... y 'all stay off the sidewalks!

Shel

Cynthia Bostwick said...

My father has been visiting from Florida,where he has had the good sense to reside for 35 years. He says he wants to move back here. I keep trying to tell him this unseasonably warm (barbequing and Chrismas light puttin' up sorta ) weather we been having is a fluke! I'm sending him to your blog tomorrow (he's already asleep now.)

Write about anything you wish, you make everything delightful. Although I admit I skimmed the fusion stuff.

rdl said...

I never knew that about Chicago weather. here in New England we say if you don't like the weather just wait.