Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Holiday holidays -- a survey question

OK, I'm taking Thursday off. If I'm still alive after all these kids descend on our house... starting tomorrow. (See the end of this post if you're really interested... and, yes, Long Suffering Spouse is going with the two turkey dinner plan. She talked to Oldest Son on Saturday and discussed the idea with him. And when he said, "Welllll, if your really want to..." it turns out that she did!)

I'll be in the office tomorrow, I think, for at least part of the day, all the visitors notwithstanding -- and not because of the visitors either. In fact, I intend to get home early, so that I can offer support (or valium, if I can get my hands on some) to my spouse as they begin to arrive....

I suspect, however, given the abbreviated schedule tomorrow, that this will be the last post for a few days. (If I get on line at all, it will be to browse through Grand Rounds, hosted this time by our old blog friend Dr. A. (Running through the list quickly this morning, I saw that he did include a piece by another friend of this blog, Mother Jones RN. So that was nice.)

But what about Friday? If you have Thanksgiving off, do you have Friday off as well?

This year, Christmas falls on Monday. Assuming you get that day off, do you get any other day off as well in connection with Christmas? New Year's Day is also on Monday, of course. Any time off there?

At my old firm, when Christmas fell on Tuesday or Thursday, the Monday or Friday was frequently an optional day -- but we had to work the corresponding day during New Year's week. Or we could do it the other way around -- which is usually what I did -- so long as we worked the three out of four days. Christmas on Wednesday put Tuesday in play as the possible day off. But whenever it fell, the office was quiet on Christmas Eve... little up in court... clients called, if at all, only with holiday greetings (making sure they weren't working alone, I suppose).

But here, in a wholly unscientific survey, you tell me: Not counting vacation days that you're taking on your own, what days off do you get for the holidays?

10 comments:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

We get English public holidays, such as Boxing Day, New Years Day.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Well, here in the good ol' U S of A; as you know, it depends on what type of job you do. At Jewel you can't ask for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Memorial Day, or Easter off. You sign a sheet saying you don't wish to work on said holiday and wait til the Friday before the holiday (when the schedule is posted) to find out whether or not you're working. Frankly, you've probably got just as much chance of being off whether you signed the sheet or not. I do happen to be off this Thanksgiving, but there's no way to know ahead of time. It's solely up to the discretion of whoever makes the schedule that week. Days before or after? Same thing, except there's not a signup sheet for those. But, on the other hand...Chris is off Thurs. through Sunday. He works for a company that distributes auto parts; so they're on a fixed holiday schedule, where retail, of course, isn't.
Now, wasn't that interesting? And aren't you sorry you asked?

Shel

The Curmudgeon said...

Shel -- No. I did ask.

SQT said...

Well, since I am the stay at home mom, every day is Monday. ;)

So I have to answer on behalf of my husband. He works for one of those big brokerage firms, so his schedule is based a lot on the stock market. If the market is closed, he automatically gets the day off.

But he works so much of the year, rarely taking time off, (he only took one week off when we had our daughter) he does take a little extra time during the holidays. So he's taking the day after Thanksgiving off and the week after Christmas. I am very happy about this. :)

Mother Jones RN said...

Nurses get very few holidays off. This Thanksgiving will be the first holiday I've had off in years, and that's only because I'm on medical leave. I guess I picked a good time to fall down some stairs.

MJ

Anonymous said...

i just know i can't take all. if i want to be off on christmas, i need to work either new year or thanksgiving.
anyways, happy thanksgiving :)

sari said...

I'm off every day from 6-6:30 am, ha ha. No, let's see. I'm lucky to be able to stay home, so I don't get any "holidays".

My husband works for a reservation in the area and he gets all local/federal holidays + he gets the holidays that the tribe celebrates. So he gets about 47 paid days off a year. I've pulled that number out of a hat, but he gets a lot of days.

For Thanksgiving, he is taking Friday off, and he's working today, but he said that they'll probably shut down early and send everyone home (I'm thinking at lunchtime).

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, by the way!!

Anonymous said...

My job is blogging (Laugh.)

Hubby gets from December 23 to January 2 off when he's not home from having surgery.

Wishing you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving!

Cynthia Bostwick said...

Friday after Thaksgiving, off.
1/2 day Friday before Christmas, back at work 12/26. Same for New Year's. But then, as a government worker, I get so many others, Vets day observed, MLK Jr. day, and on and on. I always am thankful I get paid holidays at all.

Anonymous said...

Worked Friday after Thanksgiving; would get half day Friday before Christmas and Christmas day off without vacation; get New Years Day off.
Pretty pathetic huh..