Friday, September 26, 2008

Clutter in workspace reflects ideology?

That's what New York University psychologist John Jost and his colleagues are claiming in a paper to be published in a forthcoming issue of the journal Political Psychology.

Jeanna Bryner reports on the study in a September 25 article on LiveScience.com.

Apparently, conservatives tend to favor clean, well organized offices and are more "conventional" in decoration. Liberals tend to have more clutter.

If clutter is the criterion... I must be a bomb-throwing anarchist: The Undisclosed Location usually looks as if it's just survived a hurricane. And only barely.

I never knew.... Or maybe the study is just goofy.

7 comments:

Toni Lea Andrews said...

I like a tidy work (and living) space but I hate to clean. There is a name for this syndrome:

"Born to Have Servants."

Ellee Seymour said...

I like tidy too, but you need space to put all the clutter and my office is too small for all my papers which are piling up on the floor.

SQT said...

What if you're tidy at work but cluttered at home?

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I don't thinks it's to do with politics. I just know where everything is!

Shelby said...

I NEVER knew I was a liberal.

Adding to the list of things I did not know.

I must go clean my office.

:)

The Beach Bum said...

Curmudgeon -

Back when I worked in an office, many years ago, my desk was always cluttered. But I knew where every piece of clutter was supposed to be and could find it within seconds.

Organized disorganization.

A fellow employee tidied up my desk and I couldn't find a thing. I admonished her.

Later in life, I was called a neat freak.

I must be a Liberal that was mugged!

The Beach Bum

Dave said...

I've always said that I was genetically messy. Apparently that makes me liberal? Everyone I know says I'm a liberal, commie, pinko and I've never bought the label. Now there is proof!