Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Heads or Tails #117 -- "One" or "Won"

This week, Barb has gives us a choice for Heads or Tails: We may write anything (heads) about "one" or something specific (tails) about "won." Well, I haven't won anything lately and I don't want to jinx anything pending by talking about it... so we'll go with... one hit wonders.

This morning's post is prompted by an article I saw online yesterday and in the Chicago Tribune naming Daniel Powter's song, "Bad Day," as the top one-hit wonder of the decade now (mercifully) coming to a close. I note further, from this article in this morning's Tribune, that "Bad Day" was used "used for Season 5 'American Idol' contestants who didn't make the cut."

"American Idol" has been on for five years? Who knew? I have seen commercials for that show... during football games....

Anyway, I'd heard of "Bad Day" because it was also used in a commercial. Sadly (at least for the agency that made the commercial) I can't recall the product that was being shilled therein. Perhaps I was not in the target demographic for the item or service in question.

Anyway, "Bad Day" is merely a launching pad for this discussion... a launching pad into the past because, by about the mid-80s I stopped listening to popular music except for catchy tunes in commercials for products I can't identify.

Back in the late 60s, though, The Neon Philharmonic had a moment in the sun with "Morning Girl." Perhaps recalling the Flying Machine's greatest hit, "Smile a Little Smile for Me" will bring a smile to your face?

In 1970, R. Dean Taylor sang, "Indiana Wants Me." In 2009 it is likely that Indiana will want my grandchildren yet unborn... at least those that may someday be the product of the union between Older Daughter and her Hoosier Husband. I liked Ashton, Gardner & Dyke's "Resurrection Shuffle" when it came out in 1971; I didn't know until a couple of years ago that Ashton, Gardner & Dyke were Brits.

A medley of Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah's 1971 greatest hit, "Lake Shore Drive," will bring a smile to the face of any Chicagoan. I saw a reference to another Chicago group, The Ides of March, in one online compilation of one-hit wonders, but I would dispute this. Yes, "Vehicle" was far and away the best-selling record the band ever made, but I remember buying a follow-up, "L.A. Goodbye." If you own two 45s by a group they can't be a one-hit wonder, right?

Older readers, you may pause now and explain what 45s are to any young whippersnappers in the vicinity.

Anybody feel like sharing one of their own favorite one-hit wonders in the comments?

4 comments:

Barb said...

I remember those songs of course and even found Morning Girl on YouTube. My favorite one hit wonder may possibly be the one you can find here. I'm not sure how big of a hit is was though because Mr. Skittles doesn't remember it. Let me know if you do, ok?

Calico Crazy said...

Sinead O'Connor's Nothing Compares 2U was one I loved back in the early 90's, thank goodness I outgrew that phase. Back in the late college and single years Chumbawamba's Tubthumping was a bar favorite. ~ Calico Contemplations

Shelby said...

funny.. when I hear or see the term 45s.. I think civil subpeonas and notices of intent.. and which ones have we filed and not filed and not followed up on and all that rot.

I do remember the records tho.. the little ones :)

The Curmudgeon said...

Barb, I DO remember... and then I find (and I was surprised by this) it is NOT on my iPod. Which means it may be on vinyl in the basement. So much is trapped down there on vinyl.