Sunday, March 11, 2007

Finnish politician goes the extra light-year to be inclusive

Jyrki Kasvi is a Finnish MP standing for reelection -- that means he's gotten elected at least once already! -- and he's taking no chances about ignoring any possible constituency. According to a Reuters story posted Friday on Yahoo! News, Kasvi is having his campaign site translated into Klingon.

The article says Kasvi's website is www.kasvi.org. I have dutifully provided the link, but it does not appear to work. Don't complain to me -- take it up with Yahoo! News or Reuters.

But I don't want to single out the Finns unfairly. Reading this story brought back a distant recollection of something I saw at Malnurtured Snay's site.

I went back and found this video at the Mr. Snay's site; this is a link to the YouTube site from which I believe he got it. Hopefully I've not committed any unforgivable breach of blogging ethics in describing the video's provenance....


Yes, this is an American Member of Congress going on about "Klingons in the White House." Coincidence? Or conspiracy? Hmmmmmmm.

5 comments:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Mr Worf will not be happy at this.

Malnurtured Snay said...

But Klingons actually HAVE honor. Well, actually, I guess it would be more to fair to say that "Klingons profess to live by a code of honor; however, as seen in TNG and DS9, their 'code of honor' is often used as a cover for very dishonorable behavior."

Y'know, the more I think about it, the more I think he's right ...

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Well, the Finnish people as a cultural and language group have very mysterious origins. They are not closely associated with any other cultural and language group on earth. Klingons. Mystery solved.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

faux klingons yet? my word. and someone voted for HIM?

smiles, bee

Anonymous said...

There's Klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow, starboard bow, there's Klingons on the starboard bow, SCRAPE 'EM OFF, JIM!!