Saturday, February 28, 2009

The 1000th Post!

*Tepid, widely scattered applause*

Thank you, thank you all for coming.

Even if it isn't actually Post No. 1000, this post commemorates my having posted 1000 times here.

Even if one of these was only a 'sticky note' post trying to direct 2007 BlogHer conferees to a pretty generic 'welcome to Chicago' post... I think the idea was to attract a whole new demographic of 'mommy bloggers.' I believe that's about the most coveted demographic in the Blogosphere... sort of like that 18-49 demographic in broadcasting. I used to be among that number....

Well, anyway, I never did become the token male among the mommy bloggers. Turns out there are all sorts of stay at home fathers who, in essence, are mommy bloggers.

And the few 'sticky note'-type posts and the occasional cartoon posts are more than outweighed -- crushed under the verbiage, really -- of my typical much looooonger posts.

As this one threatens to become....

*Pause for laughter -- when none is
forthcoming, plow bravely ahead.
*

I hit the 100-post mark at the end of August 2006. At the time (using "the Narrator" alter ego -- another device that's never caught on) I compared a sitcom hitting 100 episodes to a blog reaching 100 posts. The 100th episode of a sitcom, I wrote then, "is a cause for great celebration, not just for the fans of a beloved TV show, but for the producers and actors and anyone else who stands to profit from syndication." The 100th sitcom episode is often a special one, filled with inside references for devoted fans. "In studied contrast," I said then, "all 100 [blog] posts mean for certain is that the blogger is sufficiently stubborn, delusional, or at least sufficiently self-absorbed to keep plugging away."

Well, let's see... stubborn, delusional, self-absorbed.... Yes, I'm still three for three....

*Hopeful pause for laughter -- now there
is only the sound of crickets chirping
*

I try to write something here every weekday morning before plunging into the day's work. Some days work must take priority. It probably should be given priority more often... but Second Effort has become an important exercise for me.

I've noticed there are days when writing this blog is all I can do. Yesterday was one of those days. This point was really driven home for me a couple of years ago when I was recovering from my cancer surgery: I couldn't work at all -- I couldn't force myself, no matter how hard I tried -- but I could recount my hospital adventures. And, despite the large quantities of painkillers I was taking at the time, much of what I wrote then was in complete sentences.

*Increasingly desperate pause for laughter --
but there's still only the sound of crickets chirping
*

And, what a coincidence. Today just happens to be the second anniversary of my successful cancer surgery.

*Desperate ploy for sympathetic applause --
but there is still only the sound of crickets chirping
*

Well, anyway, I appreciate all of you dropping by. If you see anything you like here -- not this post, obviously -- feel free to tell a friend about it. If you see something you don't like, tell an enemy. I'll take readers any way I can get them.

*No pause at all. No point. Crickets getting louder.*

I hate to cut all this merrymaking short... but I didn't come into the Undisclosed Location this morning just to write this post. Actually I hope to get some of the work done this morning I couldn't do yesterday. Thank you again for stopping by.

*Crickets. More crickets. How do crickets get
into a Loop office building... and in February?
*

20 comments:

Shelby said...

"I hate to cut all this merrymaking short... but I didn't come into the Undisclosed Location this morning just to write this post."

Are you sure? :)

It would have been a good enough reason.

Bowing - the master.

awww I hear the roar of the crowd - listen - don't you hear it?

ok, now for a joke or three come visit.

Shelby said...

correction - bowing TO the master.

Steve Skinner said...

I have only been visiting for about a year now but have enjoyed evey post! Please keep up the good work.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

congratulations curmy!!! ( gosh it took him long enough!) is there cake?

smiles, bee
tyvc

The Beach Bum said...

Curmudgeon -

I recall that you said that writing your 400th Blog was a milestone. I also recall your Colon Surgery epic.

I enjoy your Blog more than I enjoy my Blog. And as you well know Bloggers love seeing their own work in print.

Keep it up and Congrats!

The Beach Bum

susan said...

Congrats on 1000 posts! And thanks for the (week)daily commitment. A visit to your site is second only to my morning cup of coffee on the list of things I look forward to after I get my morning chores checked off.

Dave said...

So which number post is it? You don't do the count thing in the sidebar.

Be it 1K or a few over, I'm always happy when I see that you've written something. Now and again, very, very seldom, I'm less happy when I read it; but, often that is because you've made me think and I don't agree but I can't come up with a reasoned response.

I'm looking forward to the next however many posts you write before the greater world finally discovers you. Once you get there, I'm gone. I don't watch network TV either.

Kacey said...

Those are not crickets, Curmudgeon!They are squeeky computer keys applauding your 100th Blog! We love it and will quickly pat you on the back before you break your arm trying to do it yourself! Hooray! Keep it up for those among us who are addicted.

Linda said...

Many congratulations on this most auspicious of milestones! Just think of the accolades you'll receive when you celebrate your 2000th post (and hopefully it won't coincide with the anniversary date of any surgeries!).

AndyK said...

Second Effort is like living inside an Andy Greeley novel (without the sex).

Shel said...

Congrats! Love your blog, it's on my semi daily rounds, along with Bee.

Sarge Charlie said...

Congrats my friend

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Well done reaching 1000. That's a real milestone.

Cliff said...

Congrats on 1000 posts. You are 100 ahead of me as Sunday I posted number 900. But I see by this post that you had 100 posts before I started my blog on August 26, 2006.

Good job!

Barb said...

*Standing Ovation* !!!!!!

You do know though that with my old blog I think I reached 1000 posts in the first three months??? OK.. maybe 4 or 5. :P

You can be my token male anytime you want.

You're missing some funny stuff over at my HoT post. :P

katherine. said...

well done.

You have always been one of my favorite reads. thank you.

Cristina said...

No crickets over hear. You regularly make me laugh or at least smile. I thank you for your daily commitment and always enjoy reading your blog.

Barb said...

You are going to do a 1001 post, right? :)

landgirl said...

Happy anniversaries, Cur--both exercises in persistence are worth celebrating.

Long distance hug,
Landgirl

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Curmudgeon, 1000+ posts of actual writing (compared to my 1k of cut & pasted dross) is quite some achievement.

And an awful lot of it is of much higher quality than you give yourself credit for.....