Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I had to wait in line this morning to vote

Turnout is usually very good in my little corner of the City. Even in primary elections we get better than 50% turnout. For the really important elections -- like, say, for alderman -- an 80% turnout might be disappointing.

I always vote early in the morning. Once, during a mayoral election here (this was during the confused interregnum between Daley the Elder and Daley the Younger) a lot of the rapid transit trains running to the South and West Sides during the evening rush hour mysteriously seemed to develop mechanical troubles. Lots and lots of trains. And, oddly enough, these trains were heading toward areas of the City heavily populated by African-Americans when an African-American candidate was on the ballot.

I tell you, strange things can happen in Chicago on Election Day. And often do.

Anyway, if I had ever voted late in the day before then, I never have since.

And this morning was no exception.

But even though we always have a high turnout, I have never before waited in line to vote. Oh, I've had to wait a minute or two after getting my ballot for a booth to open up -- but this morning I waited at least a half hour just to get to the desk where I could sign for my ballot. Others in line older than myself (there are still some) made similar observations.

We may top 100% turnout in our precinct.

No, wait! Did I say that out loud?


Sarge Charlie said...

over 100%, interesting

Tumblewords: said...

I voted by mail and early this year - first time I haven't physically gone to the polls - but I was fearful something would happen to prevent my going this year so I 'took insurance'. Grin. Nice post!

Ralph said...

The Daley effect is still continuing in the Windy City. I wonder if there may be some voting from the beyond?

I was in and out of our small town voting in five minutes...

Patti said...

I went to vote at a different time than Ralph, but was done and back home in a matter of minutes.

You have to sign for your ballots? Interesting.

We don't do that in the Nutmeg State.

Kacey said...

Yep, you said that out loud! Heard from a relative Ohio Patrol Sgt. that every patrolman had to be on duty or available for duty today (with their riot gear). Hmmmm.....Man, I hate today!

Shelby said...

I too voted early, and waited in line. Happy to do it. I was excited that so many people are voting and fighting for whatever it is they believe in.

I took my son with me - he just turned 19.. he voted for the first time and was so excited.

I told him the first time I voted was when I was 18 and it was when I
helped Ronald Reagan win. Woo hoo!

Maybe he (my son) will help make history too.

Regardless, we've done our part and that's good.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your post - I ran 2.5 miles to vote ... stood in line for 2.5 hours and then ran 2.5 miles back home ... I was on my feet for over 3 hours - more than the time it takes me to run a half marathon. Not sure why I shared that, not sure why I chose to run instead of drive my car but - I'm sure my intentions were good, though ... oh, right, that was it, good intentions.