Friday, March 23, 2012

"Coregasm" study, um, stimulates discussion in the Curmudgeon home

One of the things I don't generally talk about here at Second Effort is *whispering* s-e-x.

Yes, I'm old-fashioned: I still believe there are some things that should remain... private.

But the news intrudes.

I saw a female anchorperson on one of the local stations blush her way through a report about "coregasms." Apparently, some women find a real happy place doing exercise routines -- not pole-dancing, or anything involving batteries. Women in ordinary sweats, thinking about nothing more romantic than what to fix for dinner or who has a dentist's appointment on Saturday have found, in the course of a vigorous workout, that -- all of a sudden -- oh my!

The link in this sentence, to a March 20, 2012 story on the ABC News website, by Susan Donaldson James, explains that researchers at Indiana University have scientifically established that, for many women, exercise can result in, um, satisfaction.

(If my high school science classes had covered these kinds of topics I sure as shootin' would never have gone to law school!)

Long Suffering Spouse wasn't in the room when I first heard the story, and I didn't say anything about it then. But, then, yesterday, on my way home from an afternoon appointment, I heard a radio interview with Dr. Debby Herbenick, one of the authors of the IU study.

I mentioned it to Long Suffering Spouse last night after dinner.

"You're crazy," she said.

"No, wait," I said. I went online and quickly found several articles, sniggering and non-sniggering, about the topic generally and about the IU study in particular. I read excerpts to my spouse.

She listened in silence for awhile. Eventually she said, "I thought you don't like doing exercise."

"Well, no," I admitted. "But I, er, um, thought you might find this interesting."

"I'll just bet you did."

3 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i hadn't heard this but them i don't watch much "news" since the political krap is nauseating me daily now. interesting, but honestly i've never exercised that much! ha!

smiles, bee
tyvc

Jean-Luc Picard said...

No wonder so many women exercise...it's something they are not telling us!

Kacey said...

Ah Nuts! I wouldn't have let my membership at the gym lapse if I had known. Oh, yes I would have....nothing is worth all that sweating. Oh, my!