Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Let me be the first non-retailer to wish you...

...a very Happy Holidays. (Or, if you're feeling traditional, Merry Christmas.)

Because, as you surely know if you've set foot into almost any kind of a store at any time since Saturday, we are now squarely in the Holiday Season.

The entire month of November has been sucked into some sort of temporal vortex, whooshed right out of the calendar: After Halloween comes Christmas.

Now, for years, I have decried the early advent of the Christmas season -- weeks before Advent even starts. (Catholics, at least, will catch the reference; just groan along with them at the feeble play on words.)

But I give up, er, I grow and change. I don't think there's a choice: They're running Christmas commercials during the World Series. The Boys of Summer are morphing into Christmas elves right in my den. And I'm not drinking anything stronger than water.

Remember the old cliche... I wish every day could be like Christmas?

Well... if retailers get their way... it will. It will at least be the Christmas season.

Ho ho ho! Pass the eggnog!

7 comments:

Shelby said...

but I've been getting happy christmas tree day for weeks. thank you tho and merry Christmas to you .. for weeks to come.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

funny you should say this. last night when i was writing my post for today and mentioning thanksgiving, a commercial came on for christmas. i started to mention it in the blog but didn't.

have a great day curmy!

smiles, bee
tyvc

Steve Skinner said...

Heck, here in Astoria, our Costco store puts the Christmas decorations out for public consumption just after Labor Day.

Jeni said...

Do you read Suldog's blog? If not, you should and you could also use this post to follow along with his campaign of "Thanksgiving First!"

Jenn said...

It takes me a long time to decorate for Christmas. I normally would have started about now but the Christmas stuff is still in Georgia and we won't have it here until Thanksgiving. Which means... it might not get done! LOL.

On a lighter note, the villages don't have to go up this year, do they?

Cristina said...

I know the early Christmas stuff irritates me too since Thanksgiving is my favorite. But on the other hand, as a crafter (and not a good one nor a quick one) I start making Christmas gifts in October just to have them done in time. So, I guess I shouldn't complain.

Cathy said...

I am the oddball. I can't wait to decorate for Christmas and start listening to Christmas music in Sept. I don't know why but I love the Christmas season. I have one tree in my den that I leave up all year and change the decorations to match all holidays. I also shop for Christmas all year long. I mean that literally. I usually buy the first gift about Feb.