Thursday, July 02, 2009

A glass bottom boat... above the clouds?

Herewith, dear readers, a Chicago tourist attraction on which you will never, ever find me: The new "ledges" on the Sears Tower Skydeck -- on the 103rd story of the Sears Tower, the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere... and, for a time still, the third tallest building in the world.

Those white and gray and fluffy things below the man in this picture? These are called clouds. He is standing on GLASS.

Strong glass, to be sure.

Really, really strong glass.

And you couldn't pay me enough to get me out on that for even five seconds.

I have troubles going up stairs that don't have solid risers.

I'm having palpatations just writing about this -- but these kids show no fear.

Should somebody be calling DCFS?

Anyway, if you're brave enough, or sufficiently foolhardy, don't miss the Sears Tower ledges next time you visit Chicago.

Just don't expect to find me there. * Shiver! *

-----------------------------------------------------------------
For these and other photos and artists' depictions of the Sear Tower ledges, follow this link to the Chicago Tribune website.

5 comments:

Jeni said...

I most certainly do agree with your thoughts on this one! I get antsy in an elevator that has a glass window from top to bottom on one side but to have the floor be glass too -not my cup of tea at all! I was getting shaky just looking at the picture of this one!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

wow, i saw that on foxnews this morning. scary stuff. now i have no fear of heights but don't think i'd want to stand on that glass! yikes.

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Shelby said...

My hubby saw that yesterday and said pretty much the very same thing.. ain't no way.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Very scary...if one joker starts stamping on the glass I'd panic!

Cristina said...

I am with you! Never ever ever! OMG! The pictures are tough enought to look at without shivering! The one with the kids looks freaky! OMG! No WAY!