Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Hiding in plain sight in the dish drainer

Maybe some of the kids wouldn't recognize what a dish drainer is or what it's for.

Dishwashers are increasingly standard in American kitchens.

We have a dishwasher at the Curmudgeon home, but a few years back we got a dish drainer, too. The idea, of course, was that we could use this for those items that couldn't or shouldn't go through the dishwasher.

And I suppose we do use it for that. But it has another purpose as well; it's where I put stuff when I don't know where it's supposed to go.

I learned long ago not to ask Long Suffering Spouse where something should be put. Her usual response is equal parts sarcastic and non-responsive. "Do you live here?" she'll ask.

Although that's a sarcastic question, I learned it is best not to respond in kind. I might have once answered, "You call this living?" -- but only once.

To avoid this peril, I've sometimes put stuff in the dish drainer.

I don't think I'm the only one to do this either: Our dish drainer is never empty. Usually it's stacked up to overflowing.

No comments: