Thursday, June 21, 2007

At the risk of becoming your #1 Internet source for all things squirrel...

...I have to pass along the sad story of Alan Turcott of the Chicago suburb of Blue Island. The Chicago Sun-Times reports today that Mr. Turcott has a very serious squirrel problem: Squirrels have set his home on fire.

Twice -- in an eight day span.

Angela Caputo's story reports Turcott's house "caught fire when squirrels knocked high-voltage wires loose from a utility pole and onto his three-story house, fire officials said." The Blue Island fire chief has confirmed that two "scorched squirrels" have been found, proving that, in the last moment of each squirrel's life, "they transferred power from one line to the next as they bounced across" two neighboring wires.

Squirrels have eaten through my cable line before -- but they've never caused a fire at my house. I suppose Mr. Turcott would think my recent complaints about a squirrel in my house somewhat excessive. Well, he has a point -- but I'm still giving that window sill in my living room a wary eye every time I walk by. So there.

2 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

that was a squirrely little story!

smiles, bee

tyvc

Anonymous said...

You have real Squirrel issues in Chicago..... Maybe that's why my webhost keeps losing power....