Wednesday, July 21, 2010

An inauspicious beginning to a bad day....

I did get a seat on the train this morning, but we're close enough to the airport that I usually do. And there was no air conditioning on that car. Even at 7:45am, thanks to our ongoing heat wave, the car was stifling. I think the heat was actually on.

But, good news! The train stopped at Jefferson Park and remained standing for a minute because of a stopped train ahead. I could bolt from my airless car and search for one in which the A/C might be working.

And, in fact, the next car back did have the air on. It was delightfully cool. And there was a seat just for me. I sat down... and my feet got stuck to the floor.

Maybe it was beer spilled on the floor; maybe it was soda pop. All the same, my shoes made skritch skritch sounds with every step when I got off the train and walked into the courthouse.

And then the day went downhill....

5 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

well buggers. i hate it when that happens.

smiles, bee
tyvc

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I windered what skritch skritch sounded like.

Barb said...

I know that sound. My shoes have made that sound, too.

Ellee Seymour said...

That sounds like quick thinking. I hate those starts to the day too. On the London train, many passengers often end up standing, and I think that's a terrible start to the day. Although I am early on in the journey to get a seat, that's not always the case going home, and the fare is £44. I think it is outrageous that such huge fees can be charged and you end up sitting on the floor.

Robert Lee said...

Why we still need public transport is amazing - there are plenty of extra dimensional methods of transport we should be considering!