Monday, July 12, 2010

Curmudgeon goes to the show

I don't think the expression is current. I certainly don't know if the expression was used nationwide. But, unless you're talking about professional baseball players achieving the major leagues, "going to the show" has always meant taking in a film to me.

Long Suffering Spouse and I saw a movie on Saturday. The accompanying illustration no doubt destroys any suspense I might otherwise have built up about what we went to see.

I love Pixar movies. I've seen nearly all of them in first run. I didn't get a chance to see Up in the theater and I wasn't entirely interested in going to see Cars, but I own every Pixar feature on DVD and I love them all. Even Cars, which surprised me.

Pixar movies are animated, but they're not for kids. Or, at least, not only for kids. That's the way good movies should be -- a little something for everyone.

And Pixar movies play shamelessly with the heartstrings. My sister Betty and her daughter walked out on Monsters, Inc. when Boo's door got shredded. She wasn't the only one. I remember feeling devastated myself when I saw it, and thought the film had been ruined for me. Except Pixar found a way to make it all better in the end. Now I just trust Pixar and surrender.

Of course, I did wait three weeks to go see Toy Story 3 -- I always planned to wait at least a week and let the crowds die down and, in the meantime, other things got in the way of our going. And, of course, Long Suffering Spouse and I went to the earliest show at the local movie palace, when ticket prices were only $5 apiece.

I was so happy with the bargain, I even offered to spring for popcorn.

"Please don't," said Long Suffering Spouse. "Leave me with my illusions."

I am amazed by the ability of the Pixar folks to take a corporate mandate -- make sequels! -- and turn it into a wonderful movie. I choked up several times during the movie, and laughed out loud, too -- I did not, mind you, LOL, I really and truly laughed. At the end, my eyes were moist. I hate it when my allergies act up that way....

On the way out, Long Suffering Spouse pointed out that the bad guys in the last two Toy Story movies have been grouchy, bitter old farts. I was forced to agree. I like Pixar, but Pixar doesn't like guys like me....

2 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i do like the movies but have mixed feelings going back to michael eisner and steve jobs and the whole big fight thing and disney stock was crap after that. but, again, i do like the movies.

smiles, bee
tyvc

sari said...

Pixar does deliver, every time. We have been waiting for the crowds to die down because we are taking the two year old when we go...so we should be hitting this about next week.