Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Imagine a metronome

You know, the thing that used to keep time when you were allegedly practicing the piano. Big long pointy needle, swaying back and forth, straight as an arrow, ticking and tocking just a split second ahead... or behind... whatever note you were hitting (or missing) at any particular moment.

Can you see the metronome in your mind now?

Imagine it going forward, to the right -- falling, if you will, toward the top of the piano.

It never quite falls all the way.

But I did. Like a metronome, straight down, without any flexion whatsoever, last night on my way home from work. The tip of my shoe caught in a lip between one slab of sidewalk and the next. The lip was no more than 1½" tall -- barely actionable-- and then only maybe -- according to Illinois case law.

But the difference in slab heights was enough. The tip of my shoe lodged against the upraised slab, and I went forward on my face. I did manage to move my left hand ahead of me, to absorb the worst of the fall (otherwise we might not be chatting at this moment), but my forehead bounced off the concrete, leaving a small, but noticeable, quantity of skin behind.

The sidewalk was uninjured.

My pride is expected to recover.

2 comments:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Ouch! I thought the pavement might have been damaged at first.

I still never quite see how a metronome works with a piano. Maybe it's me.

cmhl said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhh that hurts.

if it makes you feel any better, when I was in undergrad, I slipped on ice on my dorm steps, and snowplowed face first on the sidewalk for approximately 15 feet. In full view of the quad.

good times.