Friday, August 03, 2012

Toot toot toot, lookin' out my back door

Remember, as I tell this true story, that I live within the corporate limits of the great City of Chicago.

I was sitting in the den the other night at dusk, minding my own business, watching the ballgame on TV, when I chanced to look at the glass sliding door leading to the backyard.

I must have heard something. Or felt something. (With my glaucoma, it's unlikely that I saw something out of the corner of my eye....)

I looked out through the sliding glass door and a good size raccoon looked back at me.

He was about as close to me in my command chair as I am to the computer screen right now. That's pretty close. Too close, if you ask me, even with the glass door closed.

I stood up and started banging on the glass and that raccoon turned tail and ran away from the house, right over a skunk, who just happened to be patrolling the middle of the backyard at that moment.

Well, they looked at each other, each trying to size up the other's intentions. The skunk's tail did go up, but he was apparently inclined to accept the raccoon's apology because nothing bad happened after that. The raccoon continued toward the back fence (there's a garden shed back there and I'm going to be wary on opening it any time soon -- I couldn't tell for sure where the raccoon was headed in the dim light).

The skunk lowered its tail and looked around some, eventually resuming its evening patrol.

Who needs Animal Planet?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The post title is taken from the old Creedence Clearwater Revival song. But you already knew that, didn't you?

1 comment:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

interesting, yet scary! i saw a bee on my terrace, does that count? oh, and i see birds all the time. they scare the heck out of me too. i always think they are going to peck my eyes out. buggers!

smiles, bee
tyvc