Thursday, April 15, 2010

Working from home with the Curmudgeon

I wasn't at the Undisclosed Location yesterday because I had a doctor's deposition on the far North Side of the City at noon. By the time I got into the office, I'd have to be thinking about leaving -- so I didn't come in at all.

Working from home should be possible for a disciplined, organized person. Tens of thousands of people 'telecommute' in the Chicago area alone and I've worked for many years with people who used their home as the home base of their business.

But discipline and organization, while not total strangers, are but nodding acquaintances to me. Still, yesterday, I tried to tend to business at home and did not play computer games or watch TV. I couldn't get a productive rhythm going, though, because I was checking messages on my office phone every 10 or 15 minutes.

However, I did succeed in getting so much 'into' working that, when I heard nature calling, I got up from my chair and reached for my office keys... as if to unlock the bathroom door. That's necessary for the necessary at the Undisclosed Location; I'd forgotten I was at home....

3 comments:

Steve Skinner said...

At least you remembered the key! My office use to be on the third floor and the bathroom was on the first floor. I always said that I would retire when I left for the bath room and upon arriving forgot what the original mission was for.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

It would be a lot easier working from home. no more traffic!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i worked from home the last few years i worked and loved being on a formal type conference call in my pj's! ha ha ha

smiles, bee
tyvc