Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Observed: Earbuds make you funnier

Here at the Undisclosed Location we have very slow-moving elevators. There is often time for chat -- like "do you think it's stuck?" -- or "I was stuck on the middle elevator for two hours last week" -- as we wait, seemingly forever, for the doors to open.

Sometimes I venture to fill these awkward silences with a quick witticism. Sadly, these are often unappreciated. Frequently I get looks that can only translate to, "Back off, Creepy Old Guy."

But this morning the elevator was unusually slow and a number of floors were selected. So I had the opportunity to toss out a few bon mots. I said something to the young lady who was first in line to get off. And she smiled. This encouraged me to add something else. And she giggled -- as the doors opened and she made good her escape.

It was only then that I noticed that she was wearing an iPod (or similar device) with earphones.

The elevator resumed its upward journey and the next person drifted to the front. I said something devastatingly clever (I thought) and he smiled and nodded knowingly.

And when he nodded, I saw his earbuds.

Hmmm.

One more occupant before my floor. She worked her way toward the door. I said something along the lines of, "Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy."

She smiled.

I added something like, "A kid will eat ivy, too. Wouldn't you?" She smiled more broadly... and I saw the earbuds.

Yup.

It turns out, upon reflection, that I am much funnier when people can't hear me.

Which leads to another hypothesis which I'd like to test out with you now. You've just read this. Now go back to the beginning and read it again -- this time with your eyes closed. Was it funnier that way?

8 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

well you cracked me up curmy. my elevator people suck. i wish i had you instead. just sayin'. ha ha ha

smiles, bee
tyvc

Kacey said...

"If the words sound queer and funny to your ear, A little bit jumbled and jivey"... Next time try the escalator and sing out loud... they will still give you funny looks! But, I think you're fun!

The Beach Bum said...

Curmudgeon -

Back in the early 1960's the slowest elevator in downtown Chicago was in the 188 West Randolph Building (Randolph and Wells). This was back in the days when they had elevator operators.

I was wooing a young lady that worked on the 7th floor and sometimes I would go there to met her for lunch (there was a little coffee shop on the first floor).

Being the gentleman that I was at that time, I would ride up the elevator to pick her up at her office. It took what seemed like forever to reach the seventh floor.

After a while I started to walk up the stairs rather than ride the elevator.

Also we also had a version of earbuds when I was a kid. I had a little AM Radio in the shape of a rocket with an ear plug attached. And yes, I was one of those people that sang along with the music.

The Beach Bum

Dave said...

I did chuckle.

sari said...

I will wear my iPod when I walk, but I don't have the volume turned up too much so I can hear people when they talk to me (or, you know, try to sneak up behind me)...so I would say they probably COULD hear you. But maybe not, at least they were congenial about it, right? ha ha

Jeni said...

The more I read, the more I smiled, then at the end, had a nice little giggle. Your sense of humor often tends to do that to me and I like leaving your place with a smile on my face! (Hey! I'm a poet and don't know it! I won't finish the rest of that verse.)

Unknown said...

I must be old fashioned. I think wearing earbuds attached to an iPod or similar device in a public building is the height of rudeness. It drives me crazy with DearestDaughter does it. I like to hear what's going on around me, like Curmudgeons making funny remarks in elevators. LOL...I usually smile at your humor, so I all I can conclude is that the people who use the elevators at the Undisclosed Location have deficient humor sensors.

sari said...

PS I do wear them on my walk, but it's kind of like the bluetooth and I agree with Shel - out in "public" that's sort of different.

It's like people who talk on their phones when they are doing business in a public place (grocery store, bank, bookshop, etc): rude!

But when I'm walking at 6:30 in the morning alone, I'm good with it. :-)