Thursday, April 17, 2008

Observations while rearranging deck chairs

No, Bee, Long Suffering Spouse and I haven't gone on a cruise. (¡Ojala!)

I noticed, though, I haven't done one of those 'day in the life' posts for awhile.

That sort of post may not be particularly riveting for my legion of six or seven loyal readers, but when I whisper my Blogger password on my deathbed like Orson Wells in Citizen Kane, and the computer mouse drops from my fingers like the snow globe from the dying clutches of Charles Francis Kane, my heirs can enjoy hours or, more likely, minutes of amusement and fond recollection whilst wading through the archives.

And, no, my password is not "Rosebud."

And even it was, I changed it. So there.

I am at home now, about to leave for a meeting in the suburbs, a meeting at which a group of underemployed lawyers will tell lies to one another about our great plans to refer business to each other and thereby keep us all firmly anchored to the middle class. If all of the promised attendees show up, there'll be four of us. The gasoline will cost me more than I'll probably make as a result of the meeting.

But we must do something, eh?

In the meantime, I've not wasted the morning: I've spent the time rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

That's the expression I use to describe my the semi-monthly ritual of trying to squeeze too few dollars into too many bills.

I've become adept in walking charge card bills into the bank or store on the due date. There's a bunch due today and tomorrow.

I had hoped that more of my receivables would turn into actual money by this point in the month -- but, alas, it didn't happen. So, I'll be making minimum payments.

Again.

Actually, this is a step up for me.

I've learned a hard lesson in recent months. Wishing and hoping and planning and praying (you know -- that's a song lyric, isn't it?) for a check to come in the mail doesn't get it to the Undisclosed Location any faster. In the meantime, holding up the payment of a bill for an extra day or two in the hopes of paying more or even paying off the balance is entirely counterproductive.

I had one card on which a promotional rate of 1.5% went to 17% overnight because I walked in the payment a day late.

On another, the rate jumped from 12% to 36% for the same reason. (I've paid this one off... and, surprise, surprise, the rate went back to 12%. They're just baiting the trap, baby.)

From the suburbs, it'll be off to the Loop, driving Long Suffering Spouse's van. Despite my best efforts to control myself, I'm still wishing and hoping and planning and praying that today, maybe, please God, the postman will bring a check.

And you know the funny thing?

So far, this year is soooooo much better than last year.

Seriously.

6 comments:

Jeni said...

If it helps to hear others say they've been there, done that -or like me, still doing that, then you've probably got a whole lot of us who can commiserate with you on the credit junk and praying for a check to arrive too. Been in that mess myself for the bulk of my adult life -well shortly after I started working and made the mistake of getting my first credit card. That led to car purchase/payments, insurance needs, the need for more credit, mortgage, more insurance and yep, the vicious cycle thus began with one lonely little credit card application about 44 years ago now come to think of it.
Have faith, Buddy. This too shall pass. Just never does it quite soon enough.

sari said...

the credit card companies are out to get us.

have fun at the Gang Of Four meeting. Hopefully all four of you will turn up.

Also, I actually have a baseball story if you want to swing by and check it out.

(I hope you include me in your loyal readers, you know you have more than six or seven, too bad blogging well doesn't pay, eh? You'd be doing just fine).

TroyBoy said...

Am I one of your faithful 7, am I, am I?

Nikki Neurotic said...

I think that when it comes to health and being healthy, it makes you realize that money is just money.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i can remember years ago selling a house and buying another one and the sale fell through and sarge was still active duty and now we had TWO mortgage payments and five kids. back then cash advances were treated like charges and did not have interest at day one like they do now. i played one card against another for three months like a ponsi scheme but it worked and finally the other house sold. whew! so i understand. and i wish you were talking about deck chairs, your day will come my friend. seriously...

smiles, bee

Patti said...

Sometimes you wonder which is worse, health problems or money woes.

I guess the health ones are, but sometimes the money stuff can lead to the health stuff. Am I making any sense?