Sunday, June 03, 2007

Lou Piniella: I'm not ashamed to say I was wrong -- but I didn't miss by much

Yes, Bee, one more quick baseball post. But don't blame me: Bennie put me up to it!

In a March 24 post looking forward to Opening Day, I predicted that the new Cubs manager, Lou Piniella, would melt down by Memorial Day.

I was wrong.

Piniella melted down yesterday. So I was off by five days.

Now comes word the poor man has been suspended indefinitely by Major League Baseball. Piniella won't be permitted to participate in today's game with the Atlanta Braves. (Presumably that game will not be inflicted upon Europe -- see preceding post -- thereby preserving the tattered shreds, at least, of our European alliances....)

Apparently the length of Piniella's suspension won't be determined after the Commissioner's office has an opportunity to hear Sweet Lou's side of the story.

If Piniella's smart, he won't answer his phone.

9 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

that was sports, right curmy?

(he reminds me of earl weaver! ha ha bet you didn't think i'd know about HIM! i used to go to all the oriole games when i was a kid.)

now take your vitamin! i know you didn't!

smiles, bee

Ben and Bennie said...

I think Bee made a fine comparison. It amazes me how well Lou can do color for a baseball game and come across as a fine gentleman. Put him in a dugout? Different story.

And it wasn't just Lou that melted. The whole team has cracked and it's not even July.

Dr. A said...

Is it me, or do I remember more manager meltdowns when I was growing up? Sometimes sports is too cold and calculated and just plain boring. It's great TV to see a manager meltdown every once in a while. What was the name of that minor league manger who freaked out? That's great TV!

Smalltown RN said...

Well I don't follow baseball, but I must say I have heard of this man....temper temper.....

cheers

landgirl said...

Does sport encourage meltdowns like that or select people who are likely to melt down?
Over here there ahve been some spectacular ones, too, but I am sorry I cannot give examples because if not for Cur's blogs, I would not have sports very much on my mind.
In case you don;t recognize it, Cur, that's a compliment.

Ben and Bennie said...

Wow! Bee REALLY did make a great comparison. Via CNN's site this morning here is a Sports Illustrated article. You'll need to cut and paste.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/john_donovan/05/31/cox.ejections/index.html?cnn=yes

The Curmudgeon said...

Bennie -- read the article. Probably the reason why Piniella's outburst was so Weaver-like was because it was so staged -- it was planned from the moment that Zambrano and Barrett had their dugout and clubhouse brouhahas.

Poor Piniella. What sort of ego is it that makes a fine manager think he can reverse 100 years of Cub tradition? It can't be done! (I hope.)

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i do not believe weaver's were ever planned. i witnessed lots of them first hand. he was a spitfire and i loved him. omg, i am commenting on sports. what has happened to my universe?

smiles, bee

Anonymous said...

Hey, check out this Braves minor league manager going more mental than Lou!

Braves AA Manager