Thursday, June 14, 2007

A not-so-serious history of the Internet

This is a link to a timeline purporting to show the history of the Internet.

It begins, as it must, with a picture of Al Gore, and the notation, "ARPANET (precursor to internet) invented. (If anyone makes any overused Al Gore jokes they will be beaten unconscious with a 300 baud modem)."

This sounded like a challenge to me, so I'll try and invent a new one (based -- just like Law & Order! -- on events 'ripped from the headlines'):
Al Gore was in Chicago recently, at the Borders bookstore at Randolph and State, signing copies of his new collection of sermons.

Eager book-buyers lined up early awaiting St. Albert's arrival, many of them loudly encouraging him to declare himself a candidate for the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination.

(beat)

I didn't know there were that many Republicans left in Chicago.
Yeah, I know, don't give up your day job, kid.

Anyway, back to the timeline: If you click over to this, maybe you can explain "Zombo.com" to me. (Maybe it has something to do with Chris' recent fascination with zombies?)

7 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i think you must have taken something other than a vitamin today curmy. ha ha

are you seeing pretty colors?

smiles, bee

Linda said...

It was good to read that history as I had completely forgotten that my very first email address was with with Prodigy.

I wonder what ever happened to Prodigy? I wonder what the heck Zombo.com is supposed to be?!?

MommasWorld said...

Psst! I have a confession. I had never heard about Al Gore being the one who started up the internet until just recently. Wow, I really need to know what goes on in the world. Good thing I can come here and find out what I really need to know. :-)

MommasWorld said...

Just want to add, I was thinking last night about the arrow keys on my computer. It suddenly dawned on me...we did not always have a computer mouse. The arrow keys were our "mouse". Odd that I forgot all about that.

The Curmudgeon said...

Bee -- maybe I did grab the wrong bottle yesterday morning....

Shelby said...

that Al Gore guy is just . . .

I can't say it. I just can't.

Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Top link Curmudgeon, was there really life before internet?

I cannot explain zombo.com. Nobody can....