Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Another New Year?

I've never been much of a fan of the New Year's Holiday. In my youth I decried it as "amateur night." And it is all of that: Too many people trying to drink too much and eat too much and be happy whether they want to or not, doggone it! Of course, what did that make me then? A "pro" as opposed to an ameteur? A "pro" at what?

Maybe I don't care much for the New Year Holiday because when I was in college many years ago our final exams started almost immediately after January 1. I never watched the bowl games then. Not only did my college not have a football team, I was busy cramming for finals.

New Year's Day forces us to acknowledge the passage of time -- something birthdays already do, and too well. At some point, kids, that's not altogether a good thing. And it reminds us, again, that what we've hoped for is not what we've achieved. And we never know when time will run out on us.

No comments: